Plus – How to turn them into Fresh Fruit Waffles!
Mickey waffles are an iconic Disney breakfast. There’s just something about them. They are fluffy inside, slightly crispy on the outside, and oh so yummy! They are a classic part of the Disney experience. Whether heading out to the parks, or creating your own magic at home, they are the perfect way to start your day. Plus, for the authentic Mickey shape, you can order a Mickey waffle iron from shopdisney.com.
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cu vegetable oil
- 2 cu whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cu all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cu granulated sugar
- 1/4 cu salted butter, melted
- Preheat waffle iron
- In a bowl or stand mixer, add egg whites. Whip until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, oil, milk, and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar, and mix until combined. Using a spatula, gently fold in egg whites.
- Preheat oven to 175 F and place a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet. Place baking sheet in oven.
- Use a brush to lightly spread a little melted butter onto waffle iron. Scoop 1/4 batter into waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- When waffle is done, remove from waffle iron and place on wire rack on baking sheet in oven. Repeat with remaining batter.
Bonus tip: If you don’t want to make them from scratch, it’s said that that the Golden Malted Pancake and Waffle flour is as close as you can get.
Here’s our at home results with our Mickey waffle maker:
How to turn them into Fresh Fruit Waffles
In Magic Kingdom, my favorite breakfast is the Fresh Fruit Waffle Sandwiches from Sleepy Hollow. They aren’t Mickey shaped, but delicious none the less. You could use Mickey shaped waffles and pile the extras on, but it’s fun to have them like a taco with the traditional round waffle shape.
- 6 waffles
- 1/2 cu chocolate-hazlenut spread, such as Nutella
- 2 large, ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- 2 cu strawyberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cu fresh blueberries
Spread chocolate-hazelnut spread onto waffles. Top with banans, strawberries, and blueberries. Fold in half into sandwiches to serve.